Bone marrow is the soft, spongy fatty tissue inside the bones where blood cells are developed and stored. Stem cells are immature cells in the bone marrow that are needed in bone marrow transplant.
Bone marrow transplant is a procedure performed to replace damaged bone marrow stem cells with healthy cells by extracting the healthy stem cells, filtering them and giving them back.
BMT is indicated to cure blood cancer and many other non-malignant disorders.
Replaces diseased bone marrow with healthy functioning marrow by affecting the production of bone marrow cells.
Regenerates a new immune system that will fight existing or residual leukaemia or other cancers, not killed by chemotherapy or radiation.
Replace bone marrow with genetically healthy functioning bone marrow to prevent further damage.
Diseases that can be Treated
Types of Bone Marrow Transplants
Autologous Bone Marrow Transplant : Stem cells are taken from an individual's own marrow to be used for their own transplant.
Allogeneic Bone Marrow Transplant : The donor is selected based on the compatibility of the HLA typing (genetic match) of the donor and that of the patient.
Who Can Donate ?
1. Siblings (Matched related donor) : Brothers or sisters are the best choice as donors, provided that their HLA type matches with that of the recipient.
2. Parent/Children (Haploidentical stem cell transplant) : A haploid-identical match is when the donor is a parent, and the genetic match is at least half identical to the recipient.
3. Unrelated Bone Marrow Transplants (UBMT) or Matched Unrelated Donor (MUD) :The matched marrow or stem cells are from an unrelated donor, who has been found through bone marrow registries.
4. Umbilical Cord Blood Transplant : Stem cells are taken from an umbilical cord immediately after delivery of an infant. The stem cells are tested, typed, counted, and frozen until they are needed for a transplant.
Advanced Bone Marrow Transplant Facility
- 1. First State of Art Centre between Pune and Bangalore
- 2. Well Equipped HEPA Filtered Rooms
- 3. Highly Qualified team of Bone Marrow Transplant Physicians
- 4. Dedicated, trained team of BMT Nurses, Counselors and Support Staff
- 5. Equipped ICU facilities with Positive Pressure Areas, Ventilators and Dialysis facilities
Dr. Abhijeet Ganapule
MBBS MD, DM (Clinical Hematology), DNB (Hematology)(Consultant Hemato-Oncologist )
Vast experience in Clinical Adult and Paediatric Hematoncology.Presented and published papers at national and internationallevel conferences and journals
Dr. Nilesh Dhamne
MBBS, DNB (General Medicine), DNB (Medical Oncology)(Consultant Medical and Pediatric, Oncologist and Hemato-oncologist, Bone Marrow Transplant Physician)
Has served the hospitals from Mumbai and the USA Done research work at a hospital in Pittsburgh, USA Expertise in adult and pediatric solid & Hematology malignancies Involved in more than 100 bone marrow transplants over last four years at Medanta hospital Gurgaon